A little FYI on Ortho Evra.

I had my gallbladder out last June and it was smooth sailing for a couple of months.  About September rolled around and I started getting sick.  I haven't been able to eat much, since, without being doubled over in pain for the following days, BUT I have been able to eat small amounts of snack foods/dry foods without trouble (so I have thus become a junk-food-a-holic and eaten more of it than real food hence the NY resolution).  I assumed it was post gallbladder problems.  Perhaps I'm one of the 1/30,000 unlucky ones that has a body that won't adjust.

So I began a journey of drinking prescription Questran, a horrible powder you mix into water (pulpy limeade in my case), and literally gag down (with a straw in my case), twice a day.  It really doesn't dissolve.  It's so nasty.  So for the past while I have consumed a glass of Questran, 1-2 hours before a meal.  Sometimes I thought it helped, sometimes it didn't at all.  There was absolutely no pattern between foods and the pain, but I kept up with my Questran.  All my gallbladder research gave examples of people just like me, with their doctors stumped.
I went to see Dr. L recently and he prescribed me some medication for a gastrointestinal problem being that my symptoms didn't start right after surgery.  He didn't seem to think it was my lack of a gallbladder.

The problem has been solved, and I have been cured for three days now and I'm ecstatic as I drink my Monster (they killed me and I only could have a small sip on my wedding day, something I was really sad about haha), and think about how I'm going to lunch at Quiznos today, pain free even if I don't get a small salad.  The problem was Ortho Evra, my birth control.  (Thanks goodness my belly was okay on the wedding.  I ate like a bird all week before it to be safe.)
The week w/my patch off was a week where I noticed I was able to eat a little more food.  I put a new one on, on Sunday, and Monday I woke up with stomach problems and it clicked.  I started BC in September, and the timeline matched up.  Talked to a different OB and sure enough, he doesn't prescribe OE at all because it makes people so sick.  Did some research and the reviews weren't that great either.  Went home and ripped the patch right off.  Felt better the next morning and since (which is a super long stretch for me).

So you live and learn, and unfortunately it messed up my belly (and thus my bubbly usual self) during the most intense months of my life, but I'm happy to get rid of the birth control that gives off the most hormones out of any of them. WTF is right.

If you have recommendations, let me know or text me, etc.  I would like to find something else.  Nuva Ring?  Something that doesn't make a lady crazy, preferably.  :)

19 comments:

  1. I was on BC for a while without problems, until I switched to Ortho Tri Cyclin Lo.... BIG MISTAKE. It totally threw off my hormones and cycle. I am finally just NOW getting back to normal, and I stopped talking it last february! I would get randomly sick all night long about once a month and had no idea why. It continued happening for 9 months after I got off it. Anyways, since all this craziness... I have vowed NO BIRTH CONTROL! My body does NOt handle foreign hormones well... Sick, moody, no period, PLUS 25 pounds!!!!
    I vote for condoms!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gosh that sucks you've been so sick. Birth control is kind of a drag I'm not gonna lie. That's why we got prego a month after we got married...just couldn't hack it!! But if I'd have to recommend anything I would say other than an IUD which is by far the best thing that has ever happened preventing births... nuva ring is a close second. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahh that is the worst i'm sorry! i love implanon. it has such low hormones, and it is good for three years, or you can take it out at any time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh that sucks you've been so sick. Birth control is kindof a drag I'm not going to lie. That's why we got prego a month after we got married...just couldn't hack it!! But, If I'd have to recommend anything an IUD is the best thing that I've ever had, no sickness, no weight gain, no maintenance required, i.e. taking a pill, putting on a patch, etc. and NO periods which was awesome. I also got pregnant immediately after it came out. If you don't want to go that route, I would say NuvaRing is a close second! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry for the duplicate comment! I thought I accidentally deleted it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sister was on the patch and she was getting rashes from it where she would put it at so she decided to switch to the pill. So you are not the only one that had problems with the patch. I am also on the pill and I love it. I used to get really bad cramps when I was on my period and now I don't get the bad cramps anymore. I have never had a problem with the pill. I wouldn't reccommend IUD because I heard that falls out even when you are having sex. I haven't heard a lot about the NuvaRing. Good luck though! I hope you find the right one for you and I hope I have helped.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should have a baby first before you use the IUD, your uterus needs to be a bit stretched and then it wont fall out. some doctors wont even do it until you have had a baby. But I love the IUD now that I have Macie. The Nuva ring is wonderful! All the girls in my family are on it and it doesn't fall out and he can't 'feel' it. You should try it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Before I had Lucy I did really good on Yaz or Yasmin. I liked them because they are pregestron based. I have a IUD now but my OB says you shouldn't use that till after you have a baby. My Friend has the implant that goes in your arm....She really likes it. I too don't have a gallbladder and I have had problems since having it out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the IUD Mirena http://mirena-us.com/ I love it. I've had no weight gain, very little cramping and my period is down to maybe 1 day every 3-4 months...love it! :) My doctor recommended it above all other BC.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks!! I'll research them all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Each and every one (that has a hormone in it) makes me a crazy person. CRA to the ZY all the way.

    :(

    I think I will try the non-hormone IUD eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  12. HEY--also, i have been meaning to tell you about my migraine cure. Did you see it on my blog. IT WORKS. It's like a miracle. I also have a miracle oil for stomach issues if you are interested. Let me know! I've already turned many peeps onto both of these things.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been on Yaz now for over 2 years, and it hasn't really bugged me at all! If you are a person who remembers to take pills, I think its a good way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did the Ring, and it was much more hassle than taking a pill every day and caused a bunch of other issues. Every BC I've tried has made me nuts so I finally quit using it. Good Luck. I hope you can find something that works.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know this is really weird because you don't know me, but you met my brother Todd Cash(Ben's friend).And i follow your blog. I was on the nuva ring and LOVED it. I feel like i could be on a commercial for it because i loved it so much. It is so easy. And the doctor told me the hormones don't get into your bloodstream as much. I would defiently recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry you've had so much trouble with your birth control. It is such a hard thing to find what works best for each individual. I have been so, so, so happy with my IUD. I haven't noticed any side effects at all and I can't even tell it's in there. It can also last for up to five years and be taken out whenever you want. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you all for the help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I got super sick on the first BC my doctor put me on (Loesterin) and now I'm on Ortho Tri Cyclin Lo and it has been a god send. The first made me a crazy person and super sick ALL the time. Hopefully you will find one soon that will work for you. It's horrible to be sick like that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I went with Nuva Ring for this go around. We'll see how it works out. Thanks for all of the help.

    ReplyDelete

31 Things (9) 32 Things (9) A to Z (30) B2 (1) B3 (44) Currently (4) Friday Favorites (13) Giveaways (1) Juneathon (120) Lists (5) Marathon (51) Pregnancy! (46) Racing (57) Reviews (2) Running (175) Scorpions (20) Shoe Addiction (34) Vacation (63) We Like To Move (34) Wedding (9)
Powered by Blogger.