January Jabberings

Some random, unconnected thoughts...
  • I have been following two stories pretty religiously for the past couple of weeks (just ask my dear hubby).  The first one is Sherry Arnold, the missing jogger, and the second is the Concordia cruise ship (which I even dreamed we were on).  Both are stories about devastating happenings, and they just make me sad.  And to think how avoidable the cruise disaster could have been.  As more information comes out about why and how the ship hit, I can't believe somebody could be so careless with a boat full of 4200+ people.
Sherry went missing while on a Saturday morning jog around her neighborhood.  She was a cancer survivor which lead her to become a runner.  This is a picture I found of her and her hubby.  I had hoped and hoped for her safe return, but six days of searching later, it was over.  Ugh her poor family.
Two men are being held, and details have been pretty withheld, but I'm really hoping for as much "justice" as can possibly be served.

I'm amazed at the damage to the hull of the Concordia.  This happened even with all the technology we have at our hands, which is pathetic.  That is not a little damage.  It was avoidable and cost at least 12 lives, with possibly another 20.
Cruise pictures found here.

  • I walked in the garage and my eyes (they are like full time scorpion radars) instantly spotted mister scorpion, clear up high on the wall.  Ben stood on the truck with the broom covered in sticky tape while I shrieked with shriekness.  My phone froze so you never do get to see the big scorpion.  He is squished now.  I should have taken a picture.


  • You will have to wait and see what we came up with for Ben to wear to the Retro Run.  lol oh ya.  I give it an A+.  Saturday he set a 10k PR of 47:49, with a 7:42 average pace!!  My goal is a sub 55 with an 8:50 average pace.  I would LOVE to run a 10k at an 8 minute average pace, but that's a little out of my range right now.  Ben's buddy Ryan will be joining us for this race.  I wonder what his attire will be.

  • After debating on which race for a long time, it looks like we're planning a trip up north, in April, for the Salt Lake City Marathon (hopefully it happens even after the whole director resigning issue...bah)!  We have recruited my brother, Dallin, and my dad to run 5ks, and possibly even Liz and Colter, my inlaws.  I am using Hal Higdon's Training found here, and just finished week five.  
Ben will probably only run once a week between the Spartan and then, and run the half marathon with ease.  To be a man...


  • If you want longer eyelashes and don't want to deal with the money and maintenance of extensions, try LiLash.  I'm on week #5 and am amazed that my lil stubbies are actually long!!!  I was afraid to try some of the others because of the chance of darkening my eye color, but LiLash doesn't risk that.  It is one of the most pure lash extenders.  I will post some personal pictures soon.

  • New shoes, new shirt, completely ready in Christmas attire!  Seriously I went two week without getting all ready, it sucked.  The joys of working from home in my jammies, and spending every afternoon/evening in my workout stuff.  My hair seriously grew in that time.  It needs a choppin'.


  • The Arizona Super Spartan Race is less than three weeks away.  Currently Team Nemesis has about 11 on it (give or take one, I can't remember), and the only female is...ME.  We had one other, but she was injured at the PF Chang's last weekend (sad!!), so now I'm flying female solo.  This race has scared away the female CrossFit-ers here or something, but I think the race hype is more than it should be!  It won't be that bad, and I would love to find a lady to join the team, or another female/s running the 11:00 heat.  I don't think I can keep up with the men on the team; I guess we will see.  Crazy enough, my dad might be able to come watch as the Motabs will be in town that weekend.

  • January's 100x challenge of running 100k is dwindling down, and February's challenge is 100 push-ups per week, which is about 15 a day.  If you're wanting to work on your push-ups, head here to join and get the link to the spreadsheet.

  • We have a hard time dealing with the idea of having to get up really early to drive to a Saturday race, or having to mooch off somebody's hospitality since we live out of the valley where all the racing happens (a big thank you to those that have let us stay with you/at your condo time and time again).  But we are quite blessed with beautiful "winter" weather here, which allows us a nice Sunday walk to the Post Office.  The weather seems to be a constant low 60s and sunny.  
I have already forgotten what it's like to deal with snow, and though we adore Salt Lake City so much, I hope we don't have to deal with driving in it again.  It was stressful.

    Did you see this video from YESTERDAY?  It was circulating Facebook.  Insane.
    • And "before" and "after" pictures of Ben's truck lights.  Thank you Dallin!  It looks pretty cool.

    Happy Sabbath!  And have a lovely week.

    For the locals, mark Saturday, March 3rd for a local charity 5k run.  $20.  Fun and for a good cause.

    6 comments:

    1. Thanks for spreading the word about the challenge!! Good luck with marathon training. Is this your first?

      ReplyDelete
    2. Christy, you're just a load of fun---I love that you have blog posts that remind me what is going on in the real world...how awesome it's possible to look while running...what it means to really set goals...and that you share fun little tips; like how to make your eyelashes grow longer! (I'm excited to see the pictures) :)

      Oh..and that snow storm? Yeah, that's the one we had to drive home from California in yesterday!! Way depressing. And dangerous. :(

      ReplyDelete
    3. Holy cow! I watched that snow video and I pretty much never want to leave my house again when it snows, thankyouverymuch. Despite the dangerous aspect of it, the guy filming seems to enjoy the entertainment of his location!

      Ew scorpion! I scared my kids yesterday by having them watch "The Sting of the Scorpion" on Youtube. Pretty sure they'll never wear flip flops again.

      Can't wait to see Ben's awesome threads. I'm guessing 80's!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Yuck!!! Scorpions! Aaron got stung by one when he lived in Phoenix. His foot swelled up so big he looked like he had elephantitis.

      That snow storm was amazing and I think Scott and Nelladet were on that hill at that time. They are safe and have no real damage to the car.

      You are amazing with all that running and stuff. Run swift!!!

      ReplyDelete
    5. That's exciting!! Hal Higdon is awesome, I used him for my last and it went well. My advice: train with a run-walk method! Run 1 mile and walk 1 minute from the beginning of your long run and not when you are tired. Starting early will delay feeling fatigue and you finish your long runs strong! :)

      ReplyDelete
    6. Can't wait to hear more about Lilash... my eyelashes are pretty short, and I am skeptical of all those products out there that claim to grow them!

      Hal Higdon plans were what I started with, so I would recommend them to anyone.

      ReplyDelete

    31 Things (9) 32 Things (9) A to Z (26) B2 (1) B3 (43) Currently (4) Friday Favorites (13) Giveaways (1) Juneathon (120) Lists (4) Marathon (51) Pregnancy! (42) Racing (57) Reviews (2) Running (175) Scorpions (19) Shoe Addiction (34) Vacation (63) We Like To Move (32) Wedding (9)
    Powered by Blogger.