Where do you run??

I'm in a funk.  If you're friends with me on DM you probably read that I almost got hit by a car this week and it has left me too shook up to get back out on the streets running.  It's always been a concern, and that is why I always take the precautions that I do take.  I'm kind of paranoid, but I think you have to be.

It's Thursday and I have logged just over 1-1/4 miles when I should be at 12.  Yesterday I drove around town trying to discover new areas to run, or to take a look at the college and highschool tracks.

I live in a small town.  My problems/solutions are the following:
1-  Run on the busier street and have to occasionally cross intersections (which I choose..I only cross one intersection going and coming).
2-  Run in neighborhoods that aren't as busy, but don't have side walks.
3-  Run in areas with very little traffic, thus very few people, and think about Sherry Arnold and that devastation that can and has happened.
4-  Run on a treadmill that I don't own, and don't really want to buy, but think I might need to own.
5-  Perhaps I can look into the little gym in town that might have treadmills.  But I don't really want to pay the money.  We are blessed with the best running weather right now!!

This is the college track.  There was nobody there.  It was dead, kind of creepy quiet, and the track is also dirt (and the grass yellow...).  Kind of downers, but not completely ruled out.  The highschool track was just as dead and quiet.
I am not giving up on my marathon training over somebody that decided to speed up and "shoot the gap," a gap that I happened to be halfway across.  I did get his license plate number and I walked over to the police station and turned him in since he was caring enough to just drive off.  He drives a gold Nissan ...Sentra-ish? two door.  License plate ASV-6704.  I'm plastering it on my blog, yes.

Local friends, if you see it around town...feel free to give a window a high five in fist form.  I'm not really an angry person, but I'd feel much better.  lol

My hubby is really worried now, and I really want to get back at it today, but I just am stressed about the whole situation.  Blech.  But on a good note, I'm right on track with my push ups (man they are hard for these chicken arms), and tomorrow our fun race weekend begins.  Oh, and our heater is fixed.

5 comments:

  1. Oh that sucks! I'm glad you are ok. Is there a running group close by? I'm a super chicken in regards to running outside. So I decided to join a local running club and we are now 5 women who meet every Saturday to run. I love it and I feel safe. During the week I run alone and at home on a treadmill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry that you almost got hit. I would be scared to go out again too. I don't go running but I would suggest the neighbor that isn't too busy but without sidewalks but what do I know?...lol Well good luck I hope it turns out well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like whenever we are finally "on a roll" with something, a wrench is thrown into our glory and freedom and the joy we find through taking part in it. It's so not fair sometimes.

    You just stated my absolute biggest deterrent when it comes to running; the whole safety issue. If I'm going to run, I want to run outside. If I'm going to run, I'd prefer running by myself rather than with a partner, because you have more freedom to listen to your body and run at the pace that is most comfortable for you. If I'm going to run, I want to feel safe. I could go on forever, but I guess the fact-of-the-matter is that running very rarely is a sport that you can take part in in "your own special/individual/perfect way." Such a downer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I'm totally laughing out loud because I totally have little chicken arms and can't hardly do any push ups either:) I'm so sorry you had a rough week. YOu knowe I had a bad week last week too. I am really lucky because we have these paved running and biking trails that I run on and there are only a few big intersections I have to cross. I used to own a treadmill and hated it. I don't think it's nearly the same experience especially for someone who is already an avid outdoor runner but it could be a solution. Not sure what to offer for advice. I'm sorry friend!!!

    xoxoxo Hanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the input/advice! I am going to be extra cautious because I think that's the only thing I can do. I want to keep my training outdoors so I can be in charge of my own pace and see what I'm capable of. Thanks ladies!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.