Race Countdown Day 9

Sick of hearing about running?  And the Salt Lake race??  No?

Ben and I sit on the couch at night, spending quality time together (Ipads).  He looks at Porsches and movie trailers, I read through my blog reader...and do calculations:
  • 10:15 average pace puts me at 4:28+
  • 10 minute average pace puts me at 4:22
  • 9:45 average pace puts me at 4:15ish
  • 9:30 average pace puts me at 4:09
  • 9:00 average pace puts me at 3:56
  • 8:00 average pace puts me at 3:29+ (I choose this one lol)
This is the gist of my attire, give or take a few things..arm warmers, gloves, maybe a hat, etc.  Not as spunky as I was going for, but there's time to adjust or add.

"I don't have a goal."  I do, however, have a secret goal floating around in my mind.  And my shin is getting better with some rest which will hopefully allow me to run the paces that will let me meet my goal.  This week it has felt better than last Thursday's frustrating run.  Progress!

My confidence in this race comes from that fact that I made it through peak week just fine and with little pain.  I'm ready.  It all comes down to the shin/ankle...my shankle.


What I've learned (I've learned a LOT) while training in Arizona for Salt Lake City:
Alphabet style...a list with direction:


Always leave the ear closest to the street, free of headphones.
Bandanna headbands allow for extra sweat absorption (I'm a sweater).
Compression socks for long runs, tempo runs, and after I started with shin problems...every run.  CEP are my choice for my little legs.
Drivers do not see runners!
Eat at least 1-1/2 hours before, unless it's a snack.  I like blueberry bagels pre-running, or a Cliff bar.
Freeze 90% full hydration bottles before long runs, then top off with cold water.  In the winter I carry my hydration belt for double digit runs, but now it's warm out that 5+ gets the belt.
Garmins don't always charge when they are plugged in (mind of their own!!).  I'd check it hours before long runs to make sure it's charged up and ready to go.
Hats provide good sun shade, but also block some peripheral vision.
Injuries happen even when you are careful with mileage and speed increases, but the right shoes can make a big difference in not getting injured.
Just because it is a "good running shoe," doesn't mean it is the right shoe for you.
KT tape has helped my shin splints (I have posterior, but mostly just in the right leg).
Long distance runs should be slower to keep the legs intact.
Mid/fore foot striking has less aggravation on the shin.
Negative splits keep me from starting too fast and make me run wisely.
Outdoor running is more enjoyable than the treadmill and makes time go much quicker.  (I have to have those landmarks.)  Four miles of my marathon training were treadmill miles.
Pick some locations ahead of time to drop frozen water bottles off (the elderly lady's front yard bushes!).  Cold water cools the body temp and turns a struggling run into an awesome one.
Quickly passing anyone on the sidewalk is super startling to them.  I've made people scream.  lol
Roll out everyday.  Ice baths after every longer run and ice for shorter runs.
Shot Bloks don't upset my stomach.
Take one Shot Block at 45 minutes and every 2 miles after that (what works for me) for long runs.  Don't really need to refuel for less than 10-12 miles unless it's blazing hot and sunny out.
Ultra marathons are incomprehensible.  I bet my body would fall apart.  (Stretching the ABC thing...I realize...)
Very few people understand my love for running.  Ben does, my family does, but people think I'm crazy (but they are on to something).
Water/drink at every single mile on the watch beep to avoid the stomach problems that come along with sudden over-drinking (oh the sloshing).  I "hated" drinking while running, but I quickly learned that doesn't jive.
X train wisely.  Too much will destrominate you (Ben phrase).
Yesterday's run was yesterday, today's is today's, and same with tomorrow's run.  Everybody has a bad run here and there, and you can't let it consume you on the next one.
...ebras I don't ever see on my runs.


Tapering has been getting me down.  I can't wait for the race but I'm also looking forward to picking up the pace afterwards, and just getting back to it.  My body appreciates the break, and I'm excited!

And it looks like everyone is running the 1/2 now:  Ben, dad, Dallin, Dallin's prom date (that's their day activity!), and James!

Everyone is coming home with a medal that day!

But until then, I'll just use my spare running time (while Ben is working out) to buy and eat these delicious lil devils:

You have to watch this video, especially the end when people are so excited to cross the finish line...cartwheels, push ups, falling right before the finish, collapsing after, etc.  Incredible.  (NOTE:  I notice Google Reader put the wrong video, but if you come to my blog the right one is here posted.)

7 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm very excited and proud of you for all of the hard work and training you've put into your racing. What can I have waiting for you at the end of the big marathon?

    XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just your lovely face!! And maybe a wheelchair. lol

      Delete
  2. You are just darling!! I loved reading your A-Z's of running. Although I'm not a runner I do enjoy to go for a couple miles every now and then and even though you do basically 13 times that haha that advice can still come in handy even for small runs! I wish I had your ambition girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved the video Christy and love your race day outfit. adorable

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great alphabet and so true!! I love training for marathons,you learn so much about your body and it feels you always learn something new. You will do GREAT with your marathon!! Don't forget the race is the reward of all the hard training, just enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the nice comments! I'm pretty excited and nervous for my shin, but I'll be just fine. I will definitely enjoy this race!!

    ReplyDelete

31 Things (9) 32 Things (9) A to Z (26) B2 (1) B3 (43) Currently (4) Friday Favorites (13) Giveaways (1) Juneathon (120) Lists (3) Marathon (51) Pregnancy! (42) Racing (57) Reviews (2) Running (175) Scorpions (19) Shoe Addiction (34) Vacation (63) We Like To Move (31) Wedding (9)
Powered by Blogger.