Juneathon Day 12 - How To Get Injured

Run, blog, log everyday (or at least do something). 
Day 12 of 30
Stats
Distance:  2.63 miles
Time:  24:35
Route:  2 miles treadmill, .63 miles around the outdoor mall
Total Juneathon running miles:  25.84
Total Juneathon walking miles:  3.56
X training:  2


You know it's too hot when you want to quit at one mile.  I need to find a different gym time to run than when the sun is in my eyes and making me deathly hot.  I think I want to buy one of those giant fans from Costco.  I quit at two miles and went to run outside 'where it was cooler.'

Ben joined me and we ran around the outdoor mall, but ended up at Rubios gorging ourselves and walking back.  LOL  So much for 3 or 4 miles today.  Since Rubios is on the far end of the mall, I credited us .5 for walking too.  haha
It seems like there have been a lot of my friends and family dealing with running related injury that I decided to do a little research.  I never dealt with the threat of injury until I trained for my first marathon this past spring.  Though I followed a strict plan, I foolishly increased my mileage while also pushing too hard and cross training too much.  That resulted in shin problems and a slower paced training overall, and much stress.

I think many of us are naive when it comes to getting injured because we never have been (me me me), and we think those that get injured are somehow doing something wrong (sadly me again).  I have been running since I can remember, but the worst injury I had were blisters from my shoes that weren't big enough.  I just was lucky.  Lots of people are lucky, and lots aren't.



Ways To Get A Running Injury (mostly I just speak from experience, sadly):


Doing too much too fast-
The lungs have the capability to adapt to sudden increases in physical activity, while the body itself does not.  The body has to be conditioned to run.  The shock of zero to twenty or thirty miles in a week can have devastating results...albeit maybe not for a few months.  I think the recommended weekly mileage increase is 10%.  You can go here: http://halhigdon.com/ to find training plans for all distances.

Wearing the wrong shoes:
Get properly analyzed and fitted by a running professional at a running store rather than a fitness/sports store.  I overpronate and wear stability shoes while Ben wears a neutral.  You can learn about pronation here:  http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-327-7727-0,00.html  You should be able to fit a thumb width between the edge of your toe and the end of the shoe.  I wear a size 6, but 6-1/2 or 7 running shoe (you get over the boat feet feeling soon enough).

Wearing old shoes:
Shoes are worn down and compressed each time you go running.  After 200-400 miles your shoes will lose their cushioning and proper support (even if they look brand new still).  Time for new kicks.

Skipping your warm-up:
Warm up shmarm up.  I never liked to stop running once I started running...but I've since learned.  I start with a slow jog to warm the muscles (1/2 mile-ish+ or so) before stopping and properly stretching.  Runner's World recommends 15-30 minutes for 5ks, 10-15 minutes for 10ks, 10 minutes for a half, the starting mile of a marathon, and never bouncing during a stretch.

Bad form:
I think this one is obvious.  Bad form equals unnecessary stress and strain on the body.  I was a heel striker until four months ago without problem, but then the shins said no and I started my transition away from it.  (I do need help with my form.)  You can read all about form here:  http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267-268-8210-0,00.html

Running too fast or going "all out":
Beginning runners should run a pace that leaves you able to hold a conversation.  Once you build a base fitness level, you can start doing speed training once a week.  Speed runs puts additional stresses on the joints that you also need to condition the body to.  Never run "all out" during a speed session.

These are a couple of many.  Hopefully somebody has found them helpful.  I think the best way to learn is through experience...but if anything, learn from my mistakes and most importantly get fitted for shoes, even if they aren't the pink ones.  Ugly colored shoes are better than pain or stress fractures.  Sitting on the curb crying at less than a quarter of the way into a run is so defeating.

Happy Tuesday NIGHT.  Tomorrow is humpday.  :)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for these great tips! I'm lucky enough to not have had an injury before (knock on wood) and need to get better about new shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips, I also see many people get injured because they too fast, all runs are tempo runs and at some point the body can't handle it. Slow runs are very beneficial and make you stronger.

    ReplyDelete

31 Things (9) 32 Things (9) A to Z (30) B2 (5) B3 (47) Currently (4) Friday Favorites (13) Giveaways (1) Juneathon (120) Lists (5) Marathon (51) Pregnancy! (52) Racing (57) Reviews (2) Running (175) Scorpions (20) Shoe Addiction (34) Vacation (63) We Like To Move (34) Wedding (9)
Powered by Blogger.