Juneathon Day 13 - Running In Heat

Run, blog, log everyday (or at least do something). 
Day 13 of 30
Stats
Distance:  3 miles
Time:   25:19 with negative splits (8:53, 8:23, 8:03)
Temp:  100 degrees
Route:   Around beautiful Phoenix
Total Juneathon running miles:  28.84
Total Juneathon walking miles:  3.56
X training:  2
I think my hair is drenched here.  Literally the kind you can squeeze with your hands wet.  Gross.
I find it funny that the day after I post about staying injury free, I go out and push my shin probably more than I should have.  After all these treadmill runs, it just was awesome to be outside for a run!!  Wheeee!  Leg feels fine now, but tomorrow will be the big indicator.

Yesterday I read a little out of one of Jeff Galloway's books at the bookstore, and it had a chart listed for heat/temperature increases and speed decrease along with a lot of great info on running in the heat.  It made me feel better about these summer runs that feel a lot tougher than they should.

For an 8 minute mile runner, this is what it becomes with heat increase:
55-60 degrees - 8:05 
60-65 degrees - 8:15 
65-70 degrees - 8:25 
70-75 degrees - 8:35 
75-80 degrees - 8:58 
80-85 degrees - 9:35 
Above 85 degrees - Forget it... run for fun.

I think we might still be dipping under 85 degrees at like 4am for a few, but for the most part we are in the "forget it...run for fun" category for the next few months.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, for being so tired from running, you still look so darn cute! :) XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great, I always wondered what the factor was when running in the heat. The next few mornings will be "cooler" just below 80 but by this weekend and beyond, sadly it will be above 82 for the morning low :( (I forecast the weather, that's why I'm telling you :) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work mama!!!! I love that photo of you! Too cute! I'm going to the doc this morning to see what he says about my leg. Fingers crossed

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the picture!! What a cool shot!!

    ReplyDelete

31 Things (9) 32 Things (8) A to Z (26) B2 (1) B3 (42) Currently (4) Giveaways (1) Juneathon (120) Lists (2) Marathon (51) Pregnancy! (37) Racing (57) Reviews (2) Running (175) Scorpions (19) Shoe Addiction (33) Vacation (63) We Like To Move (26) Wedding (9)
Powered by Blogger.