Fitness & Pregnancy + HALF WAY through June

Fitness and pregnancy.

This is a tough subject because no two pregnancies are alike and no two doctors are alike or have gone through the exact same experiences with their patients' pregnancies.

7 months - prior to Braxton Hicks entering my life

I was set on continuing my running when I became pregnant, I'd just tone it down.  I ran PF Chang's Rock 'n Roll cautiously and signed up to run SLC 1/2 when I'd be 18 weeks along.  I then saw my doctor and was completely blindsided when she strongly recommended I give up high-impact training past the first trimester.  It wasn't because of my heart rate, but rather the baby being big enough to feel the constant pounding/impact which my doctor has seen turn into pre-term labor.

I had never heard of that before.

^^PF Chang's Rock 'N' Roll 2014

^^SLC 1/2 - My mom walked this one with me since I had already signed up.  :]

My doctor has patients who continue to run anyway and have zero problem, but her advice is to stick to low-impact and be able to keep a conversation.  She was totally fine with CrossFit and with weight lifting, as long as I was smart about it.

I set a deadlift PR this day.  This wasn't it, but getting there.  Pregnancy makes you strong!

I've even heard of doctors who don't like their patients using weight but easy running is fine.

During June last year I was 7 months pregnant and did an air squat challenge + CrossFit for "Juneathon."  Towards the end of the month I started getting Braxton Hicks even when I took it VERY easy (like, I just was going through motions to stay sane).  It seemed like everybody said that my prior fitness levels would allow me to keep at it my whole pregnancy, so I sat and cried when I had to quit after one round.  (Pregnancy hormones are real.)


My doctor said that if my BH stopped when I stopped, I was okay.  Well they didn't.  Sometimes they would go on for hours afterwards, so I basically stopped doing anything that elevated my heart rate much, and I tried to drink as much water as possible.


Fast forward to the day B3 was born.  The contraction that broke my water wasn't significantly stronger than my BH.  Once hooked up to the monitors the nurse was like, "uh...aren't you feeling these!?"  Sure, things at month 9 (aka 10!!) are more matured than at month 7, but listening to my own body had been the right thing to do.

It's really no one-size-fits-all when it comes to pregnancy which is why it's important to keep an open mind regardless of your prior fitness levels!  Either way you won't be gaining fitness at this time, so erring on the side of caution is important!  Plus, growing a baby is a MIRACLE.  I still can't believe my body did that.

-----

Today is the half way mark of all June challenges!!  It was also the first triple double temperature of the year even though it wasn't even forecast to be so hot... 110!  It is 9pm and still 107 out -- crazy!



I did "pool repeats" for two miles.  Dunk myself, run a mile, jump back in, run another mile, jump back in for some final swimming with my boys.  I never got hot on my run and I'm sure the neighbors think I'm nuts (only kind of).  I really need to do this more often.




  • Today's mileage: 2
  • Total June mileage: 4 treadmill + 28.06 = 32.06
  • Hottest temp run in: 110

3 comments:

  1. Great post! Yes, it's different for everyone. I thought I'd be a lot more active than I was during my pregnancy as I suffered quite a few "mechanical" issues that continue to persist slightly to this day. But I'm proud of what I got in, and I think I'm better off for trying than not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for the pool repeats! Jennifer @ Run Jenny Run. I did that once when I was living at home..but I wore a one piece and it drove me nuts when I ran (should have worn a 2 piece).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually just jumped in in my full workout attire and no swimsuit at all. It was so hot that it all dried pretty quickly.

      Delete

31 Things (9) 32 Things (8) A to Z (26) B2 (1) B3 (42) Currently (4) Friday Favorites (12) Giveaways (1) Juneathon (120) Lists (2) Marathon (51) Pregnancy! (40) Racing (57) Reviews (2) Running (175) Scorpions (19) Shoe Addiction (33) Vacation (63) We Like To Move (28) Wedding (9)
Powered by Blogger.