Running Safely - Day #21


There is no denying that there are things that can get between us and our love of running.  For instance creepers, unexpected animals, distracted drivers and a bunch of other concerns!!  I tend to lean towards the "safety sally" side of things and have a list that I consider when planning a run outdoors.

Some of these I've learned from experience, some I do so that I hope I never have to learn from experience.

1.  Run in locations where you're seen - Sidewalks in locations with medium traffic are great examples.  There is the argument that concrete is harder on your joints than the asphalt of the street, but keep in mind the slight tilt on the side of the street can contribute to injury as much if not more than running on the actual sidewalk.

2.  Let somebody know your plans - Let your husband/significant other know if you're planning 3, 5, 9, etc. miles for a rough estimate on your when-abouts.  Also inform of the area you'll be in.

3.  Don't run alone in the dark - Statistics support this one for females.  Have a cyclist follow along if you can!  I had my husband follow me in the car for the final miles of a long run.  He just listened to book on tape.  :]

4.  Carry ID - Road ID bracelet, etc.



5.  Carry runner's mace - I do for every run and I live in a safe area.  I'm not sure macing a mountain lion would help, but it could hopefully deter some animals/etc.


6.  If you run with music, use only one headphone - Preferably the one away from the street and at a lower volume.

7.  Run towards traffic - Just in case a car veers off, also to prevent a car from pulling up behind you without your knowledge.

^^I had run this stretch of sidewalk the day before.  (Everybody was okay!)

8.  Vary your schedule or location - Don't be predictable.

9.  Wear easily visible clothing - Bright clothing, etc.  If you are running in the dark, use reflective and blinking lights!  My husband will light up like a Christmas tree when he's out in the dark.

10.  Leave your jewelry home -  Wedding or diamond rings.  Prevent a crime of opportunity.

11.  Use a tracker if you have the means - Some Garmins allow you to send live tracking via email.  I send it to my husband when I'm running.  There are other apps out there like RunSafe.

12.  Watch for vehicles the entire time you are crossing an intersection - The intersection may be clear when you start, but somebody may "shoot the gap" before they see the runner in the crosswalk...YOU!!

13.  Be award of your surroundings - Who knows, it may be the most important thing you ever do.


I hope this is helpful!  It makes me sad that we have to address some of these things, but in my eyes it's better to be over-the-top safe than sorry.

-----


Today I want to give a shout out to my husband and wish him a happy Father's Day!  Thank you for all that you do for our little family and little boy!  We love you so very much!


I bought them matching ties from Littlest Prince Couture.  They are awesome!


Also a happy Father's Day to my amazing dad, step-dad and father in-law!  I hope the day has been nothing short of amazing.

As far as the running and blogging streaks go (etc.) we're still going strong on day #21!  I put in one slow Sunday mile, struggled through 21 push ups, did 50 squats with a variation ;) and my plank is up to 2:15!  Each day is getting harder to endure, but we're almost onto the home stretch.  Nine days to go.

Wahoo!

Run, Blog, Log Everyday

  • Today's mileage: 1
  • Total June mileage: 15.5 treadmill + 32.06 = 47.56
  • Hottest temp run in: 114
Happy first day of summer!

1 comment:

  1. All great tips! If I run with headphones I usually have one ear out. Jennifer @ Run Jenny Run

    ReplyDelete

31 Things (9) 32 Things (8) A to Z (26) B3 (42) Currently (4) Giveaways (1) Juneathon (120) Lists (2) Marathon (51) Pregnancy! (33) Racing (56) Reviews (2) Running (174) Scorpions (19) Shoe Addiction (33) Vacation (60) We Like To Move (26) Wedding (9)
Powered by Blogger.