Half Marathon Weekend!

Here it is, the elevation I am racing this weekend.  I pulled it up last week like WHAT THE DEVIL!?


But I will tell you why I chose this race!

1- The date - it falls within a good range distance from the marathon (5+ weeks out).  I don't really want anything closer and this will give me a chance to work on my race day nutrition.

2- Race season doesn't start in AZ until October because it's hot, so it's one of the first in Phoenix I could find.

3- The elevation was not on their website when I picked it and I imagined it would have at least some flat stretches. lol

4- It's at South Mountain, but it's a road race, so it's just gotta be pretty!

5- Signing up two weeks in advance only cost me $70, just over 5$ a mile.

6- Race morning packet pick-up, need I say more?  Otherwise I'd have to battle rush hour.

-----

This race, the YMCA Phoenix 1/2, has a slight course profile similarity to the hardest half marathon I have ever run in my life, Groom Creek, in Prescott (which was harder than the Great Wall!!).

Groom Creek:



Goals for this race:

1) manage inclines well with pacing 
2) have a solid training day in prep of your marathon

I mentioned I might get discouraged on the big uphill if it's sunny by then, so we have decided to forgo a time goal.  Goal #3 - just have FUN!


2 comments:

  1. Good luck. Depending on the course I agree, south mountain is gorgeous. Watch that heat, it was still a little warm this week. Drink plenty of water and stick to that goal of pacing the inclines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am worried about it, heat + hills sounds frustrating! The weather has been beautiful so I'm a little bummed it's warming up just for the weekend. BUT I am just going to make it fun, regardless!

      Delete

31 Things (9) 32 Things (8) A to Z (26) B3 (42) Currently (4) Giveaways (1) Juneathon (120) Lists (2) Marathon (51) Pregnancy! (33) Racing (56) Reviews (2) Running (174) Scorpions (19) Shoe Addiction (33) Vacation (60) We Like To Move (26) Wedding (9)
Powered by Blogger.