Staying Connected

Staying in touch with family these days is so different than when I was a kid and we didn't even have internet and every one made phone calls, but social media doesn't have to be all negative in the way we build relationships.  I happen to love it when it comes to my family, because let's face it, I'm not going to call every one of them every day, but I do talk to them EVERY DAY in multiple ways.  We live in three states but communicate more than ever as if we lived on the same street!!  It's the BEST.

I thought this could spark some ideas for others to help stay in touch with their family because it's just too easy these days not to.

1-  Google Chat:  We are Androidy, Google/Gmail people, and this is just a chat forum on your email or an app on your phone.  We have multiple group chats always going:  Phoenicians, Mom + Family, Dad + Family, Whole Entire Family, Siblings, Siblings + Mom, Siblings + Dad, etc.   Literally, they are going all. day. long.  Just a minute ago my brother sent us the IT trailer that came out.  :)


2-  Instagram private messages:  I use this way more than regular Instagram!  We have a couple direct threads going for the whole family, one where I upload B3 videos basically everyday (and have since he was born so you can go back through the feed for daysss), and more recently we started a family thread where we can all post little vlogs of our daily life and see what's going on.  Like, I did a house tour of our new house for the fam to see, and Matt did a tour of his office so we could see where he works, etc.



3-  Facebook:  We all use it everyday and interact everyday, but it's more public, so yeah, that part is more limiting.

4-  Google Hang Out:  Essentially Facetime or Skype.  B3 and I chat with my mom on this one.  Sometimes we'll do random family hang outs, and I like it better than a phone call.


5-  Scrabble:  This is random, but I have games going 24/7 with my family (Emily, mom, Matt, Dil, etc.) and we chat through it as well.  Like when my mom just played 105 point word five minutes ago.  :P  Did you know you can play Scrabble through Facebook Messenger without ever downloading the Scrabble/Words With Friends app?



6-  Text:  Obviously this one, but it is probably the least utilized by my family.  Google Chat is nice because you can keep chatting whether my dad is in Israel or brother in China, etc, because it is web based.

7-  Blogging is kind of one, but I'm not sure it qualifies for the list, but meh.  My family all has subscribed to my blog (and vice versa to my siblings who blog) so they can follow along with the randomness, then they usually Google Chat me a response.  haha

Updated to add:
:)

8-  Glympse:  This one is probably also fit for another category, but when we plan outings or vacations, we just send a Glympse message out (via Google Chat) when we leave our house.  It's a private tracking app (that I also use for running!) and then instead of somebody calling/texting you while you're trying to drive, they can just check to see how far out you are.  My family is pretty anti-phone when driving, thank goodness.


9-  Google Photos:  I mention that we share our pictures with each other after every get together.  It's nice because you don't have to ask that person to send you the picture, you know you'll get it.  Somebody starts an album and sends out a link to it, and anyone else with the link can add to it.

If you don't use Google Photos, you should.  It's free and automatically uploads/backs up your pictures as soon as you take them.  They upload at "high resolution," which is actually really good, but I also use Google's storage so I pay a little and mine upload full resolution.  Never lose your pictures again.


What did I forget??  We don't really use Snapchat, I have dabbled in it and I think my siblings have too, and we just send our snaps through Google Chat.  haha

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree! I love social media to stay connected to my family. That is how I keep my family updated because plus I don't everyone's number.

    ReplyDelete

31 Things (9) 32 Things (9) A to Z (30) B2 (5) B3 (47) Currently (4) Friday Favorites (13) Giveaways (1) Juneathon (120) Lists (5) Marathon (51) Pregnancy! (52) Racing (57) Reviews (2) Running (175) Scorpions (20) Shoe Addiction (34) Vacation (63) We Like To Move (34) Wedding (9)
Powered by Blogger.