Finding out we're pregnant.

The story for anybody interested... ...bueler...bueler...

Friday [1/10/14] I decided to try a pregnancy test since I could be pregnant, though technically I wouldn't miss my cycle for almost another week.  I had purchased 50 tests on Amazon for like $20, took one and went on my run.  When I got back, I saw that the test had a very, very faint line. I showed it to Ben that night and he agreed that there was something, but it was so faint you could almost not see it unless you compared the test side by side with a new one.

All throughout that weekend I was truly exhausted and mopey, a new life trend I would find.  Then Monday rolled around [1/13/14] and I remembered to take another test right after Ben left for work.  There was most definitely a line, still faint, but very much there and darker.  The Wondfo test strips are really sensitive and get darker as the levels of HCG in your system multiply, so that's when I was realizing that this was really happening to us, like, um "HOLY CRAP!"

I took tests pretty much daily for a few days and we watched the line get darker.  Then we dropped $7 on a store bought test and that was the final confirmation I personally needed, though I think Ben was pretty convinced at this point.  POSITIVE.  Maybe this really will be the year we start our lil Buhr family??

[I definitely cropped out half the test strip that touched bodily fluid.]
Life carried on as normal and I didn't feel anything but tired (I did notice a difference in my heart rate when I ran PF Changs and I walk/ran the hotter 2nd half).  
Ben's family came to stay with us around week 5 and Ben was BURSTING at the seams, but we were like, "should we tell your family?  Well, hmmm let's not tell anybody until we see the doctor."  Then Ben and Tom were chatting and I overheard Tom say quietly, "so is she sick?"  LOL (Ben you're cute.)  Tom was sworn to secrecy at that time.

My sister and Greg came to visit right before week 6 and I was still feeling good so we didn't say anything (though I had no idea that she found my prenatals and they secretly drew a conclusion).  This is the first grandbaby for my parents, so I didn't want to tell my family too early even though I was dying to ask my mom questions that for some reason I had never yet asked.  I also hoped that since I wasn't sick at that point, that maybe I wouldn't get too sick... 

Week 6 came and Ben made delicious fish for dinner one night and it made my stomach churn, but I didn't want to make Ben feel bad so I didn't say anything.  I made a crock pot later that week and ended up putting it outside because of "that smell."  A couple of days later the pattern began of sleeping with my bowl and a bland diet of waffles.

A few days after that, I heard Ben's sister on the phone ask him how I was feeling, so I realized Ben was REALLY bursting at the seams.  haha  Liz was sworn to secrecy.  Our "secret" never leaked either (I had fears it would end up on FB for my family to read).

We flew up to [Logan] Utah at week 9 for my sweet grandpa's funeral.  The plane ride was tough and I knew I was going to have to tell my dad because I needed some medication to survive the early morning funeral (I didn't get in to see my doc until 9-1/2 weeks).  I was definitely watched out for that weekend during my grandpa's funeral.  That was one of my best weekends and I'm grateful.  I was still quite nervous about miscarrying, and I still am today but I do feel more confident about this lil munchikin now that we're closer to the 1/2 mark.
My dad didn't seem too surprised (he always has a way of knowing), and then on the way to dinner we told my siblings, Jolie, James and Spencer!
"Guess what...????"  
"You're pregnant!!"  :P
My mom and Jeff were on a cruise so we told them right when they got back even though I probably would have told her FIRST.  :)  We were going to be creative in telling the family, but that so didn't happen.  However, we did send Dil a package with random baby food/items and no letter, but he figured it out!
Fast forward and the days have been slow, but looking back I can't believe how fast the weeks have gone by.  We're getting really excited and grateful for this little one and hope all continues to go well between now and September forever!


  1. I remember taking quite a few tests because I kept thinking they were malfunctioning ha ha! Congrats again :D

  2. Awww, love that Ben couldn't stop telling people. I was like that. I immediately told my sisters and my best friend. We then waited until week 12 to tell the rest of our family and friends. This is soo exciting. Do you know the gender yet?

  3. I'm so glad you are starting to feel a little better! Love reading your blog. As for your comment on my blog, I am doing the 13.1 drop half, it is down Little Cottonwood and then Ragnar is 2 weeks later. I think all your running is wearing off on me. Although, I'm not as fast as you!